Training for Disney 1/2 Marathon

Thursday, September 11, 2008

I never knew there was so much traffic at 6AM.

I have been doing my training runs early in the morning and it has been working well for me. I like to get up and get it out of the way so I can go on and start my day. Plus, it gives me some totally un-interrupted time by myself. It's not the first way that I would choose to spend some quality "me-time", but I have to take what I can get.

I have tried to take both kids out in the jogging stroller to do runs before and it usually is not very successful. Even though they are on wheels, it's hard pushing an extra 70lbs! And stopping every few minutes to fetch a fallen sippy-cup or referee an argument i.e. "stop pulling your brother's/sister's hair", really throws a wrench in the momentum. So, being the early riser that I am, I have been getting up and out for the runs by 5:45 or 6:00AM.

I went out this morning for a run and was surprised by the amount of cars that are out at 6:00 AM. There was even a little traffic back-up trying to get out of our neighborhood street onto the main street. So, about the run...I felt really good this morning and have figured out after a few trial and error runs, that I do much better on a semi-empty stomach. Just a power-bar and a glass of water and I'm good to go. I have reached a personal goal this week and ran a complete 1.0 mile without stopping for a walk. Previously I was running for about 4 minutes (1/2 mile) and then walking for 1 minute. Before this, it would take me about 15 minutes to go 1 mile and now I am at about a 12 min/mile pace. Not Olympic athlete pace, but an improvement for me!

I am taking tomorrow (Fri) off from training, and then will be training with my team on Saturday morning in Bethesda, MD for a 5 mile run-my longest yet! Check back for details and updates.


Here is the link to m fundraising page:
http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/wdw09/kmyerschqf

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home